Its vaulted roof, stone wall and oak gate are what a visitor sees first when entering the Old Town from the Gate of St. John.
Their plans were interrupted by the Ottomans, who conquered Rhodes in 1522.
The little vaulted building was donated to the mosque and became the house of its Imam.
After having fallen in disrepair, the vault finally collapsed in 2008.
We always felt that the little derelict building was part of Kókkini Porta Rossa and that it had to be brought back to life.
Locally quarried sand-stone was used in the exact way it was done 700 years ago to rebuild the vault and the walls.