123 Main Street, New York, NY 10001
Locals named this Gate “Kókkini Porta” (Greek for “Red Door“).
A knight’s residence built around 1340 with its small church dedicated to Saint John stood where the hotel currently stands.
It was used as a residence for the knight in charge of the Gate's garrison.
After Rhodes was occupied by the Turks in 1522, Greek, Jewish and Turkish families began sharing the big house.
Their bitter memories and contrasting religions didn't stop them from living together in harmony and raising their children under the same roof.