- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 large shrimp, cleaned
- 1/2 cup good-quality canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 cup crumbled Greek feta cheese
- 1/3 cup ouzo
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sweat the onions, chile pepper and garlic, but do not brown. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute to color lightly.
- Add the tomatoes and feta and stir gently. Add the lemon zest and ouzo. Simmer until you’ve cooked off the alcohol, 5 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pepper and a little chopped cilantro and serve.